Monday, December 5, 2011

Rangoli bride Aisling marries Ian

Monday, December 5, 2011
This year I designed accessories for two amazing sisters; Aisling and Kellie, who were both married within a couple of months of each other. (Keep an eye out for Kellie's feature coming soon). Girls, all I can say is that you were both a pleasure to design for and work with and I'm so glad you both had brilliant days!

I designed a crochet headpiece and bracelet for Aisling to complement her Claire Pettibone 'Willow' gown. I used peach and ivory pearls to pick up on the unusual embroidery detail on the dress. Here's Aisling to tell us about how she planned her magical day.

"I know what I have written is WAY too much information, however I really couldnt begin anywhere else other than the beginning of our story......


"It was back in 2003 that Ian and I both met (at Witness now known as Oxegen), Ian is a Dub and I myself am from Co Down. We spent 5 months inseparable, (when possible) before he had to take off on a pre-arranged trip around the world. It wasn't long though until my sister, friends and I decided to do exactly that. Ian and I met again in Melbourne that following summer where we lived together for 6 months. Ian's dad passed away very unexpectedly and before we knew it we were back in Ireland living apart. But not for long...."

 Aisling's sister Kellie is seen on the left in the picture above

In September 2008, Ian surprised Aisling with a trip to Florence, where he proposed to her! Almost two years later, the couple headed to the Amalfi Coast in search of the perfect wedding venue.

"We did find one but it just happened to be at the top of a mountain....'Ravello'. This place was really beautiful, however a long, long way to take our guests.  After much deliberating we decided to give our homeland a chance."

Lots of research and weekend travelling, (would you believe over 1000km?), finally led Aisling and Ian to Tankardstown House which immediately won them over.

"As soon as we walked through the front doors of this charming place we were sold! It possessed all the old world charm but with a bright and new feel to it. There was an open fire roaring in the hall way and as we made our way through the house we did not know where to look first; there was so much character. This house set the foundation for the theme and style of the day that I had planned in my head for God knows how long! I pictured the day to be enchanting, romantic, poetic and with all that Tankardstown House had to offer again including the grounds this was most definitely the place."


"The next big thing was the dress...  I spent hours (maybe even days ("~) surfing the net using blogs such as Style me Pretty, Lane Dittoe, Wedding Chicks for inspiration. I googled words such as vintage, illuminating, delicate and then I stumbled upon Claire Pettibone. Her dresses were magical. Every dress was made for a fairytale. When I tried on 'Willow' in Myrtle Ivory, Dublin, I was blown away! I didnt want to take it off and so I knew it had to be the one. The style of the day that I had imagined was finally starting to take shape...a mix of vintage flair with a magical feel of a 'A midsummer nights dream'.

The venue was booked, the dress was ordered, we soon found a sweet little chapel, the bridemaids dresses were being sketched. The groom and groomsmens suits were decided upon. Everything was falling in to place. Make-up I would do myself, the only thing that was left in terms of the bridal party was my jewellery.  As a child I always pictured myself wearing a headpiece on my big day, something that would sit delicately on my forehead.  So it was back to the drawing board... Google to some, (my new best friend). It wasn't long though before I came across the very creative and talented Aisling Nelson, Rangoli."

"After visiting Aisling in her delightful studio I soon knew she would create something really special. Aisling did her own bit of research for me in terms of deciding upon the colours and beads that would suit 'Willow'. The headpiece was so perfect I had to ask for Aisling to make me a bracelet also. The attention to detail that went in to both pieces was exceptional. I will treasure both pieces forever and I love that although our big day has been and gone I can still wear my bracelet, look back and remember what a truly magical and wonderful day we had. Thank-you for your amazing input."


"When planning a wedding though,...it doesnt just stop at the wedding party and venue. As I previously stated I soon became addicted to wedding blogs. There was the invites that I handmade myself (that took me way too long,..more than I care to remember), I bought my paper from Daintree in Camden Street Dublin and the same paper I used for my buntons to decorate my sweet treat table. I used it for the table plan and also the guest book."

Wedding invitations made using Daintree paper

"We used sweets that reminded us of when we were lil ones...cola cubes, fish 'n'chips, saucers, shrimps, banana's, raspberry ruffles (my dad's favourite). Ian loves my home baked raspberry and coconut frou frou cupcakes and I happened to find a place in town that most definitely uses the same ingredients, so I knew I had to have some there also. I always loved polaroid pictures so I left one by the guset book for people to leave a little pic with some well wishes. Ian has always loved cigars moreso on special occassions and so he got a humidor and over time time collected a number of quality cigars for those that would enjoy them on the big day.

I arranged an overhead projector to be set up in the drawing room of the house and after the dinner we all moved in to watch a slide show of photo's including all the guests with Ian and myself at some stage in our lives creating happy memories.This was just another little feature. Helena (a very special lady that I cared for, for 4 years) said an amazing poem 'Young Lord Lochinvar' by Sir Waltar Scott. This poem is very beautiful and romantic."

"The fabulous photographer who really captured the essence of the day was the one and only Peter Gordan of ExploreLight. Peter who is also a close friend spent some time with us prior to the day in deciding upon what exactly we wanted from our photo's and he really did all that and more!"

 
 Flowers by Sweet Pea Designs

"The flowers were decided upon after two hours with the florist at her kitchen table. Catherine Handley of 'Sweet Pea Designs' spent this time with me trying to grasp an idea of what I had pictured. I wanted the flowers to be delicate and to have a somewhat rustic feel. Catherine did all so tastefully. The chapel was amazing with candles everywhere. 

I also wanted heather featuring somewhere. This was something that reminded me of my childhood. I grew up at the foot of the Mourne Mountains and heather grew everywhere. Catherine went one step ahead and actually sourced the specific heather found in the mountains of Co Down. You can see it a little in the bouquets and the boys buttonholes. The flowergirls were like little fairies with their floral crowns. Catherine also used her glasswear that her father collects for her (ie old ketchup bottles, Chanel perfume bottles) to decorate the main dining room including the fireplace."

"There really was a lot of attention to detail and as I write this it dawns on me how much time and effort really goes in to creating something so special. Would I do it again..absolutely..in a heartbeat!!!"

What a pretty wedding and gorgeous couple - don't you agree? Aisling and Ian, thanks for sharing some of your amazing photos and for taking the time to tell us about all the planning that went into personalising your day. I really appreciate your kind words too.

Rangoli bride features are my favourite part of the blog - check out some more wedding reports or have a look at my Rangoli Brides album or Facebook page for lots more inspiration.

Supplier details
Photographer: Peter Gordan of ExploreLight
Venue: Tankardstown House
Dress: Myrtle Ivory Dublin
Flowers: Catherine Handley of Sweet Pea Designs
Paper for stationery: Daintree
Headpiece and jewellery: Rangoli


4 comments:

Aisling Kavanagh said...

Awh Aisling, love the feature!! The pictures you chose capture it all!! Again thank-you :0) x

Unknown said...

You're welcome Aisling - it was hard to choose from all the amazing images you showed me. This wedding report is truly an inspiration; so thanks for inspiring all of my readers x

ChristineMurphy@ hawaii wedding said...

Let me just say that the look of the bride to the groom for me is the most beautiful capture.

Unknown said...

Thanks Christine!