Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cake Opera and Dulce Delight

Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Today, I'm taking a tiny break away from the world of beads to sweeten up your Wednesday. I've been a long-time fan of 'Cake Opera' since I first discovered their fondant operatic sculptures! Jessica Smith and Alexandria Pellegrino are the artistan bakers who bring their unique skills together - a fine arts degree and a master pastry chef. How about that for complimentary skills? Sometimes I'd love a partner in crime too; creative collaborations add up to magic sometimes.

 Jessica Smith and Alexandria Pellegrino of Cake Opera Company

It's their energy and passion for their business that I share though. They have found something that they are totally passionate about and it shows. I love reading interviews with fellow designers and hearing what inspires them. They were recently interviewed for Good Food Revolution and shared the story of their business. I was fascinated to hear that Dutch still-life paintings are one of their inspirations. TRĂˆS Cool!

Cakes by Cake Opera Company

Then on Friday, I discovered Raiza Costa - are you ready for a baking experience like you've never seen before?! Raiza is a Brazilian, self-taught cook. She has a 'Wow' blog and makes the most entertaining baking videos I have ever seen.

A pleasurable hour was lost watching Raiza in action. And 'Action' is the key word here. This girl made me laugh out loud. She's tempting me to believe that I could create these divine Pistachio French Macarons. If I just follow her step by step instructions and leave those egg whites overnight in the fridge :-) Watch this video, even for the first 20 seconds and let me know what you think...

 

 

Creativity and art come in all different forms and I for one love when I get to eat some of it! Are there any budding bride-to-be bakers out there that could share some of their tips and advice?

To follow up on these sugary delights:
Cake Opera Company
Dulce Delight blog
Interview and images of Cake Opera Co. via Good Food Revolution

2 comments:

Sarah {Lacquer and Linen} said...

WOW! These are the most beautiful cakes I have ever seen! I am blown away at how ornate they are. I wish I lived near Canada so I could see the Cake Opera's confections in person. I am just stopping by from BYW and can't wait to check out the rest of your blog!
-Sarah

Unknown said...

Hey Sarah - thanks for the friendly hello! I just checked out your blog too and love the layout. I'm off to subscribe and explore!