Monday, March 18, 2013

Why I love designing for you

Monday, March 18, 2013

Have you ever tried on a dress and loved parts of it but hated the shape or the colour or the scratchy fabric? Thanks for sharing some of your dress-choosing stories with me! Sometimes it's just as important to know what we don't like!


Yesterday I saw this Peter Langner dress over on Wedding Inspirassi. I looked at his collection on my mobile and I found myself zooming in to see the details. And then being sorry that I had zoomed in! Because there were elements of this dress that I loved; the illusion neckline with the delicate embroidery and the dainty striped belt... but I didn't like the fussy bodice or the shape of the skirt.


It got me thinking about how I would love this dress if it had a plainer fabric and a narrower skirt. And then I realised that this is exactly how I work with my customers;


When I first meet each of you, I know nothing about your personal style. And when I talk about your style, I just mean knowing what makes you feel good. I'll get you to tell me your ideas, even if they seem vague to you. And then it's time to try on lots of different styles. Maybe things that you would never have considered trying on yourself; bigger or much smaller, muted or twinkling with rhinestones! I want to know what you like about each piece as well as what you don't. Have you ever considered not wearing a certain item of jewellery at all? Sometimes I need to grab my sketchbook so I can show you an idea that's in my head.

The best part of having a design made for you is that you are involved in the process. And the reason I don't sell my designs to shops is because I want to meet the people who will wear my designs. It's definitely a two-way creative experience. I get some of my best ideas from conversations in my studio!

I've shared some of my recent commissions here on the blog and have lots more examples in my showroom and in my head! If you have an idea in mind, let's get chatting.

2 comments:

Raquel T.G. said...

OMG that's such an amazing dress!!
BTW I'm a fashion designer/stylist and journalist, and I'm moving to Dublin in about 2months :)
Following you to keep in touch!
xx

http://modaytendenciasrtg.blogspot.com.es/

Unknown said...

Hi Racquel, thanks for commenting! Your blog looks great - I've just been browsing around it. And that's exciting that you're moving to Dublin soon. Let me know if you need any help or advice on anything Dublin related!